Another meal idea coming at you today. Perfect for summer BBQs or just general food time 🙂 Black bean burgers!! Super easy and quick, and a very hands on recipe – well especially using my preferred technique but we will get to that in a bit…
- 2 cans of black beans (duh :))
- 45g oat flour (just blend/grind the oats to a powder – to do this I use my nutribullet but any high speed blender will do the trick!)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- Approximately 1/3 of a red pepper
- 2 heaped tsp cumin
- 2 heaped tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- First, preheat fan oven to 200ºC.
- Dice the onion, garlic and red pepper then add to a pan and fry until soft (can use water to avoid the oil if you wanted, but oil works too! Just keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn as it will evaporate – experienced this a few too many times, oops…).
- Mush the black beans (my favourite way to do this is with my hands, hehe! But a potato masher or fork works too. Less fun tho!)
- Then mix in the ground oats, spices, onion, garlic and pepper. Season with salt and ground pepper.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Now the mix can be squished into patty burger shapes – again I find this step easiest to do using my hands. I normally make about 6 patties with this amount of ingredients. Approximately 3 inches wide and one inch high.
- Next, pop that tray into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn them all over at this time and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Time to eat! 🙂
There are so many ways to enjoy these – paired with flatbreads/pittas/burger buns, or even solo then are lovely! Of course, the classic burger sauces (eg. ketchup and mayo) mix excellently in my opinion, yet some other sauce combinations that have been tried and approved by myself and my mother include hummus, smashed avocado, sour cream and cheese (avoid the last two if vegan of course!). Then any side of your preference – our favourite being sweet potato chips! SO YUMMY!
These are super easy to whip up and certainly a regular at our dinner table. Hope you enjoy!
Lots of love,